Monday, December 3, 2007

Lions For Lambs


IMDb: Injuries sustained by two Army ranger behind enemy lines in Afghanistan set off a sequence of events involving a congressman (Cruise), a journalist (Streep) and a professor (Redford).


Another movie off my must-see list. I've watched Lions for Lambs earlier today. I wasn't able to relate to the movie in any way as a Filipino [I guess that's why there were only about 10 of us in the movie house]. As a human, yes. I don't really care about people in uniforms but if they're fighting for a good cause, then I care. After all, they put their lives on the line and I get sad whenever I hear people dying.

Meryl Streep saw a frame in Tom Cruise's office in the movie that says, "If I must choose between righteousness and peace, I choose righteousness." --- Theodore Roosevelt. It reminded me of Trillanes and his troop's drama. Not only that they caused panic to the already not so peaceful Philippines but most importantly, what they did was outrageously wrong. The kind of people that we put in position are the very reason why we're still a third world country. And somehow the patriotism among the men in our country is not as intense as the americans, as showed in the movie by Robert Redford's students. We rarely hear high school students say they'd rather go get military training than get a degree. One thing that I can be thankful though about the Philippines is that we're not so into war compared to that of other countries. And damn right we should not be. There are a lot more important things that we should be worrying about. Like killing the corrupt officials, or to be less harsh, oust 'em.

HOME

No comments: