Tuesday, September 11, 2007

You harden there!

Rainy days are here again. I was on my way to the office 30 minutes early so I decided to stop by McDo to get something to eat. It was raining hard so I decided to eat there. Behind my table were yuppies discussing business and I don't think the place was proper. A coffee shop would have been more conducive. Well, to each his own they say. To my left were guess what, Koreans! I used to joke a lot about Americans invading the Philippines [reminds me of the stand-up comedian who said Americans would parade around malls with their exotic beauty girlfriends/wife and how these Filipinas has been taken away from the clutches of poverty], now it's the wierd-sounding giggles of Koreans trying very hard to talk in English.

I have nothing against them, besides they bring money to the country. There are a lot of schools offering ESL classes and Korean restos are almost everywhere. I guess it's just that I can't understand them and I'm somebody who loves to eavesdrop on other people's conversations, hehehehe. More importantly, Koreans make Filipinos sound better when talking in english.Ü

Americans marrying or having Filipina girlfriends are hilarious, and that's not an insult. I just can't help laughing whenever I hear stories of how funny some girls are when they try sooo hard to impress their American boyfriends with their english. I'll share with you one conversation I'll never forget and it still makes me laugh each time I think of it. [READ: I'm blogging about this for fun, so spare me the negative comments if you don't agree]. I was outside Ayala, smoking and waiting for a friend...
American: You drag me out of the house 'coz you said you wanted to go to Ayala and now we're just gonna sit here?
Preggy Filipina [frowning]: It's not easy to be prignant Hon oi. You ask da doctor, it's very painpul. I'm very achepul!

Hahahahahaha. Acheful?! Oh, here's another one. I was joking around my former officemates of how the guards would greet us. "Good apternoon maam-ser, wilcome to Ayala cinter!" One of us bravely smiled at an American and said the same and he smiled back. The Filipina girlfriend gave us a disgusted look but we didn't care, we were busy laughing. When we got inside, they were seated in front of us and we heard her say, "I asked da guard der, dey don't work her, nixt time, till guard". In tagalog, "tinanong ko ang guard, d cla nagta-trabaho dito, sa susunod, sumbong mo sa guard". Then there's the Filipina nanny who told her "alaga" --- "I told you not to go to, you go to, look at!" In tagalog, "sinabi ko ng wag ka pumunta dun, pumunta ka pa rin, tingnan mo!" Hahahahaha! It's like the text I got from a friend about a Filipina who got mad at her husband for coming home late when she cooked dinner for him. "I cooked the house, you eat the ship. From now [on?], you do your do, I'll do my do. You harden there!" Translation: Nagluto ako dito sa bahay, sa barko ka kumain. Simula ngayon, gawin mo gusto mo at gagawin ko ang gusto ko. Manigas ka dyan!" Hahahahaha, gotta go back to work. 'Til next time!

HOME

No comments: