Monday, March 31, 2008

Official Bum

I'm officially unemployed! LOL! I used to laugh at people who would leave their current companies without a new job offer. We'll I'm now one of them! Actually there are four of us. We spent last week job hunting and it's funny how easy it is to get a job when you have a job than find a job when you don't have one. Get my drift? Some employed people apply to 1.] check if they're still marketable; 2.] see if they can find an upgrade from their current position and compensation; 3.] they're pissed off with their boss/manager or the company as a whole; and most commonly 4.] to shop around. For unemployed people like me, we apply because we need a job. We're urgent and we're serious. But what I don't understand is it's fuckin' hard to get one. Honestly, if we weren't acting like MPC's [Most Placeable (or Pimpable, hehehehe) Candidates], Pearl and I would have gotten a job offer Thursday last week. MPC's are what recruiters would consider as kick-ass candidates that companies can't refuse if they're presented with their resumes. Having worked for a staffing firm for eight months, I can honestly say we are MPC's. The only problem is, we're in the Philippines and pardon my bluntness but I think the recruitment processes here are full of BS and bureaucracy. One of the companies I applied for last Friday was a not-so-famous BPO company headquartered in Colorado.

Almost a year ago, I decided I wanna move back to Bacolod so I applied thru their website. I got a phone call and was informed I passed and I can come to Bacolod anytime for a face-to-face interview. I flew to Bacolod a month after, at my own expense, only to be denied entry to the office because the moronic company guard thought my leather sandals were slippers. I humbly told him that I have a scheduled interview with their HR officer so he let me in. My friends and I waited for almost 2 hours, constantly getting reminders from the front desk officer to keep our voices down when were already whispering and mouthing words. Pissed, I asked one of the HR generalists if I can be entertained that day or should I just come back. She said they fuckin' lost my resume and they're still looking for it. Whaaaat?! Patiently I waited a few more minutes and finally met the same person I talked to over the phone. She asked for my technical background but she began stuttering when I started talking specifics. She then said I should be talking to another person. I asked her when, she said come back tomorrow. I asked what time, again she said tomorrow. I said okay and walked off with a decision to not come back. I decided to try again last week and took the exam with fresh grads. I was feeling cool when I heard one of the HR officers yell at an applicant, "That's already correct! Isn't Cebu part of the Philippines?!" I knew right then I wouldn't like to work for a company with employees like that. Anyway, I took the exam for a tech position. The exam were all about motivation. Questions like, "Do you work well under pressure?" - "Do you like to follow orders?" and options were Strongly Agree, Agree, Disagree and Strongly Disagree. I answered truthfully and the result was UNLIKELY TO SUCCEED. I smiled at the HR officer who said he can't endorse me to the next stage and said, "that's fine.." I wondered, how can an automated system tell if I'm going to succeed? What was even funnier was the fact that 3 of the people I used to coach were all working there with an upgrade from their agent positions with PS. Anyway, I told myself that if somebody would ask me which company I would never ever consider working for, I'd say in a heartbeat ********.

As much as possible, I don't wanna go back to taking calls that's why I'm applying for pharmaceutical companies and see if I can pass as a medical representative [which reminds me that I have to renew my drivers license]. I don't wanna go thru the "Thank you for calling my name is Nadine how can I help you?" drill but if worse comes to shove, I guess I'll be waking up again realizing I was saying my spiel in my sleep. I can only hope I'd get a job offer within this week. Or I'll be broke more than I already am. Wish me luck guys!Ü

HOME

No comments: